Lamayuru Monastery or the Eternal Monastery is situated on the Leh-Sreenagar highway, 107 km west of Leh. Lamayuru Monastery was originally the foremost Bon monastery in Ladakh, its name means sauwastika and is a popular symbol in Bon for eternity. It is currently affiliated to the Krikung Kagyu school of Buddhism.
According to tradition the Indian scholar Naropa (956-1041AD) allegedly caused a lake which filled the valley to dry up and founded the Lamayuru Monastery. The oldest surviving building at Lamayuru is a temple called Seng-ge-sgang at the southern end of the Lamayuru rock which is attributed to the famous builder monk Rinchen Zangpo (958-1055 AD). This monastery is home to more than 150 monks and houses a rich collection of artifacts, wall paintings, thangas, statues etc. The monastery attracts tourists for its beautiful moon like landscapes and remote location.